The Jesus Revolution, What Is The Buzz Around The Movie ?
The Jesus Revolution
- In the late 1960s and 1970s, a real phenomenon known as the Jesus Revolution emerged in California and spread across the world.collider
- This unique religious Revolution successfully blended counterculture with Evangelicalism, appealing to rebellious youth without compromising their Christian beliefs.
- At the heart of the Revolution was Lonnie Frisbee, a charismatic leader who played a significant role in reaching out to disaffected youth, but his legacy remains debated due to his closeted homosexuality and drug use.
The Jesus Revolution: A Real Phenomenon
The Jesus Revolution was a response to the countercultural revolution of the 1960s and the “Me decade” attitude of the 1970s.
It sought to rebrand traditional Christianity by incorporating elements of the hippie counterculture.
This blend of alternative lifestyle and strict social conservatism resonated with young people who had rebelled against mainstream American values.
The Jesus Revolution: Gaining Momentum
- The Revolution’s adherents lived on communes, combining left-wing ideals with their Christian faith.
- As it gained momentum, the Jesus Revolution even attracted attention from mainstream media, with Time magazine featuring a cover story on the phenomenon in June 1971.
- An essential aspect of the Jesus Revolution was its contribution to Christian rock music.
- By adding Christian-themed lyrics to popular music styles, the Revolution made religion more appealing to a generation that found traditional Gospel music outdated.
The Jesus Revolution And Lonnie Frisbee
Lonnie Frisbee was one of the most charismatic leaders of the Jesus Revolution. He embodied the appearance of a hippie preacher, with long hair and a beard, and he dressed in fashionable countercultural style
Frisbee co-founded House of Miracles, a network of communes that later became the Shiloh Youth Revival Centers.
The Jesus Revolution: Importance Of Revival Centers
Through these centers, he reached out to disaffected and sometimes drug-addicted youth, offering them a path towards salvation through Christianity.
However, Frisbee’s legacy is the subject of ongoing debate. On one hand, he was a charismatic preacher who claimed prophetic abilities and spoke in tongues, promoting mainstream Christian beliefs that considered drug use and homosexuality as sins.
The Jesus Revolution: Lonnie Frisbee’s Death
On the other hand, Frisbee was a closeted gay man who struggled with his own involvement in illegal substances.
Sadly, Frisbee’s journey came to a tragic end when he passed away from AIDS in 1993 at the age of 43, marking the decline of the Jesus Revolution.
The Jesus Revolution And Real-Life Events
The film ‘Jesus Revolution’ depicts the real-life events of the Jesus Revolution quite accurately.
The story revolves around Greg Laurie, a youth minister played by Joel Courtney, who becomes instrumental in the Revolution.
It portrays Pastor Chuck Smith’s Calvary Chapel, which genuinely welcomed hippies and other members of the Jesus Revolution, leading to an increase in the church’s congregation.
The Jesus Revolution Portrayal In Movie
- As depicted in the film, followers of the Jesus Revolution were indeed baptized in the Pacific Ocean.
- In fact, some real-life baptisms even took place during the movie’s production.
- The film also reflects the true story of Greg Laurie’s conversion to Christianity after hearing Lonnie Frisbee speak on a high school campus.
- Laurie went on to found the Harvest Christian Fellowship, a thriving megachurch with around 15,000 members.
The Jesus Revolution: Controversial Elements
While ‘Jesus Revolution’ is an inspiring faith-based film, it does tend to avoid some controversial details associated with the real-life characters.
Chuck Smith, portrayed by Kelsey Grammer, is known for making incorrect predictions about the end of the world, causing confusion among the followers.
He also suggested that the September 11th terrorist attacks might be a divine punishment for legal abortion.
The Jesus Revolution: Criticism Of The Movie
Additionally, Greg Laurie faced criticism for being anti-gay, which sparked advocacy groups’ calls to disinvite him from participating in National Day of Prayer events at the Pentagon in 2013.
These controversies highlight the fact that participants in the Jesus Revolution were not universally socially liberal despite their appeal to the counterculture.
The Jesus Revolution: Bridge Between Generations
One of the central themes of ‘Jesus Revolution’ is the idea of Christianity bridging the cultural divide between generations.
This theme is well-supported by real-life events, as the inclusion of Jesus freak hippies in Calvary Chapel led to meaningful connections and understanding between different age groups.
However, even today, Christianity continues to struggle with the divide between more liberal believers tolerant of the LGBT community and older adherents who maintain traditional views on homosexuality.
The Jesus Revolution: Blending Of Cultures
In conclusion, ‘Jesus Revolution’ portrays the fascinating and forgotten history of the Jesus Revolution that blended counterculture with Evangelicalism.
Lonnie Frisbee’s charismatic leadership played a significant role in reaching out to disaffected youth, even though his legacy remains debated.
The Jesus Revolution: Based On True Events
The film accurately depicts real-life events, but it chooses to focus on the inspiring aspects of the Revolution, leaving some controversial details unexplored.
Overall, ‘Jesus Revolution’ provides a glimpse into a unique religious Revolution that left a lasting impact on Christianity’s evolution,
The Jesus Revolution: Role Of Josiah
It was during this time that the Jesus Movement emerged, led by Pastor Greg Laurie, Pastor Chuck Smith, and charismatic street-preacher Lonnie Frisbee.
DeVon Franklin Giving An Interview
View this post on Instagram
In the film “Jesus Revolution,” co-directed by Jon Erwin and Brent McCorkle, this true story of a radical faith revolution is brought to light.
The Jesus Revolution And DeVon Franklin
DeVon Franklin, a renowned producer, author, and motivational speaker, portrays Josiah, a TIME Magazine reporter in the film “Jesus Revolution.”
Initially hesitant to take on the acting role, Franklin was approached by his longtime friend, Jon Erwin, who believed he would be the perfect fit for the character.
The Jesus Revolution: Unlikely Selection
Despite not having prior acting experience, Franklin embraced the challenge wholeheartedly.
He worked diligently with an acting coach, delving into the history of the era, particularly the experiences of Black journalists during that time.
Franklin’s commitment and dedication paid off, allowing him to deliver a convincing performance.
The Jesus Revolution: What Is The Movie About?
Furthermore, it played a pivotal role in shaping the modern-day Christian left and Christian right
One notable outcome of the Jesus Movement was the evolution of “Jesus music,” which later transformed into the contemporary Christian music industry.
Jesus Revolution: Is It Based On A Book ?
Yes, the movie “Jesus Revolution” is based on a book written by Pastor Greg Laurie, titled with the same name.
The book narrates the story of the Jesus Movement that occurred in California during the 1970s. In the film, Pastor Greg Laurie is portrayed by Joel Courtney.
The Jesus Revolution: DeVon Franklin And The Movie
The Jesus Revolution: Who Is DeVon Franklin ?
- Acclaimed producer, author, and preacher DeVon Franklin is making his on-screen debut as he takes on the role of Josiah in the highly anticipated film, “JESUS REVOLUTION.”afterthealtarcall
- In this movie, Josiah, a reporter from TIME Magazine, embarks on a mission to cover the sweeping phenomenon of The Jesus Movement that captured the hearts of people across the nation during the late 1960s and early 1970s.
The Jesus Revolution And Its Impact
The 1970s marked a significant period in American history, with young people seeking purpose and belonging in unconventional ways.
Among them was Greg Laurie (portrayed by Joel Courtney), who embarked on a search for meaning that led him down the wrong paths.
The Jesus Revolution: It’s Adaptation
However, his life takes a transformative turn when he encounters Lonnie Frisbee (played by Jonathan Roumie), a captivating and charismatic hippie-street-preacher.
Alongside Pastor Chuck Smith (Kelsey Grammer), they open the doors of Smith’s struggling church to an unexpected resurgence of love and faith. TIME Magazine coined this movement as the “JESUS REVOLUTION.”
The Jesus Revolution: DeVon Franklin’s Views
The excitement surrounding “JESUS REVOLUTION” is palpable, and DeVon Franklin is all set to share his thoughts and experiences about his role as Josiah.
As he gears up to preach and discuss the film at Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church in Houston, Texas, fans and audiences can’t wait to hear more about his journey into the world of acting.
The Jesus Revolution: The True Story
- A new movie called Jesus Revolution is now streaming on Netflix, captivating audiences with its compelling storyline.netflixlife
- The Christian drama film narrates the tale of an unlikely alliance between a hippie street preacher, an unhappy teen, and a straitlaced preacher who come together to form their own unique church.
If you haven’t watched the “Jesus Revolution” on netflix… you should. We all need another awakening like that in this country now more than ever. Evil is ruling and it is time to once again find that fire for good….
— COcountryguy (@ocountryguy) August 5, 2023
- But what lies behind this inspiring movie? Is it purely fictional or rooted in reality?
Directed by Jon Erwin and Brent McCorkle, the movie boasts a talented cast, with Joel Courtney portraying Greg Laurie, Jonathan Roumie embodying Lonnie Frisbee, and Kelsey Grammer taking on the role of Chuck Smith.